SOCIAL MEDIA

Wednesday, January 18, 2023

Cocolily & Co Feature

Thank you to my friend Renee Aggie with Cocolilyandco for the opportunity!





Hello I’m Alana. The best way to describe my work is a portrait artist with pictures and paint as my mediums. I’m the owner of Vanity’s Edge and have provided small businesses and families with artistic photography and art since 2004. In 2009, I merged Vanity’s Edge graphic work with my passion for creative photography.  Right out of college, I painted, photographed, and designed for freelance. When I had my first child I started photographing my daughter in the new lifestyle photography look that was starting to emerge. In 2012, I became a full time photographer as well as bringing my son into the world. I created a business that allowed me to be home with my 2 kids as well as fulfilled my passion for creating. As time progressed I started incorporating my love for the arts. I began painting and building creative sets for my photo sessions. I found whimsical ways to tell a story with my work. I studied different skill sets that have unexpectedly blended and flowed into one another. The paintings were an integral part of my sets and backdrops for photography and now the photography flows into most of my subject matters for my paintings. 


When I first started I took on everything I could handle. It was the beginning of creating a network of wonderful people that I’ve been able to see throughout the years. I’ve learned that connecting with people and getting to know a little bit about them, as well as how to get their real smile out, goes a long way. I’ve also learned taking pride in what you do will shine. 


This journey that has all connected and brought me a deeper perspective of why each one of us are here for this beautiful experience. What we are called to do and how one path can lead into another. Don’t be afraid to put your wild ideas into use. It could become the thing you needed the most. It’s never too late to learn something new. I started exploring even more options in order to blend my 2 favorite mediums and further the growth of my art. I still take classes both free ones on YouTube, as well as memberships for more learning, even after all these years in business.


If there’s something that’s been calling you, explore what it is, study it, and see if you love it. Test the waters. It can make you feel like there’s a purpose to this path. Sometimes taking leaps are nerve wracking but when we make the jump, you never know what door will unlock. Internally I started trying to ask myself what can I do that would make me the happiest with my work. Art, stories, fairytales, and movies were my childhood favorites. I try and capture those same memories in my work now. Try to look deep into yourself, what makes you the happiest, and find a way to get there, but don’t forget to have fun with the journey. 


Advice: 1.) Do your best not to take others opinions too personal, be ok with constructive criticism.  2.) Word of mouth is magic 3.) Look for inspiration everywhere 4.) It’s ok to change things up to make things new and fresh. 5.)Don’t forget the importance of having a balance in your life. 



I was very lucky to have a family that nurtured the arts, let me explore my passions, and welcomed my out of the box ideas. The people that surround us can nudge you, guide you, in a subtle way that you didn’t sometimes see in yourself. The simplest small choices I decided to embark on have turned into a really fun adventure looking back on it all. 


Thank you for this opportunity to share a little piece of me. 



Alana Beall

www.vanitysedge.com